Tales From a Voxel World, part 2: First experiment with ray marching

In April 2018, I wrote the first Tales From a Voxel World dev log. But I never got around to really start my ray marching journey because of other projects (such as nine months of constant nausea followed by a new baby, an 8-year-old, studying, making a robot for a competition… the list is long ­čśë ).

But early this summer I finally implemented my first voxel ray marching algorithm!

My very first ray marched voxels

This first version is based on the algorithm in the article “A Fast Voxel Traversal Algorithm for Ray Tracing” by John Amanatides and Andres Woo.

I was super proud of my very first ray marched voxels. But if you look close at the image above, the implementation was full of bugs.

So I went on a bug hunt!

Continue reading “Tales From a Voxel World, part 2: First experiment with ray marching”

Arduino Space Invaders Game Dev Log #2: Parts and Setup

I’m currently working on an Arduino Space Invaders Game using a 0.96″ OLED as display.

In this post you will find a list of the parts I’m using for this project. I will also show you both an illustration and the schematics for the first prototype.

If you haven’t already, you might also like to read the first dev log about the project, where I give an introduction to the project and the project scope.

Continue reading “Arduino Space Invaders Game Dev Log #2: Parts and Setup”

Arduino Space Invaders Game Dev Log #1: Introduction

I’m currently working on an Arduino Space Invaders Game. This is the first of several Arduino Game projects I have planned, and mainly serve as a warm-up project to get me back into Arduino and microcontroller programming again.

In this blog post you will find an introduction to the project including a section on the project scope. I’m not going to make a full detailed DIY on how you can make the game yourself, but instead write about the thoughts behind the development.

This Arduino Game Dev Log will hopefully also help others get started with similar projects by showing the process instead of only the result. Continue reading “Arduino Space Invaders Game Dev Log #1: Introduction”

Tales From a Voxel World, part 1: Introduction and editing a texture at run time

Last week I finished and released a small puzzle game called Bionic Carrots. The game is one of three little games I’ve challenged myself to make before September.

This week I’ve been taking a break from Unity and my small game challenge. Instead I’ve been looking into another voxel project.

I have implemented very basic voxel engines before, where each voxel was rendered as a cube made of triangles. This was to get an initial feeling of what voxels are and what might be interesting research further at a later time.

Continue reading “Tales From a Voxel World, part 1: Introduction and editing a texture at run time”

3 Games in 6 Months, part 5: Releasing Bionic Carrots

I finally got everything done on my last to-do list for Bionic Carrots. Which means that I’m ready to release the game.

Bionic Carrots is a Minesweeper-inspired puzzle game with a theme inspired by  research from MIT on how plants can be altered to detect explosives.

Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, part 5: Releasing Bionic Carrots”

3 Games in 6 Months, part 4: Improving Game Feel in Bionic Carrots

In the last post I wrote about the inspiration for Bionic Carrots. After designing the gameplay I moved into the final polishing phase of the games development.

This step was about improving game feel by giving better feedback to the player after each interaction, and also making the world feel more alive.

The video below shows the game before I started improving game feel. Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, part 4: Improving Game Feel in Bionic Carrots”

3 Games in 6 Months, part 3: From Minesweeper to Bionic Carrots

As stated in the introduction to my 3 Games in 6 Months challenge I’ve divided my current development process into six steps.

The first two focused on implementing a clone of the classic Minesweeper game.

In the last post I had completed step one and started polishing the classic version (step two).

I have since then also completed step three. Step three was about analyzing and evaluating the classic version and using this to design a new version of the classic Minesweeper.

Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, part 3: From Minesweeper to Bionic Carrots”

3 Games in 6 Months, Part 2: Minesweeper clone

I’m making a Minesweeper clone in Unity

I have challenged my self to make and release three games in six months. The point of this challenge is to practice making a finished game and actually getting it out there to the players.

The first game I’m making is a Minesweeper clone. I’m using this as a sort of warm-up project, where I get into how my workflow the next six months should be.

I’ve given my self the rest of March to release my Minesweeper. Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, Part 2: Minesweeper clone”

3 Games in 6 Months, Part 1: Introduction

Like so many others, I have a huge amount of half-finished games scattered around my git repositories.

However I have never actually managed to finish and release a proper game.

Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, Part 1: Introduction”