Last week I finished and released a small puzzle game called Bionic Carrots. The game is one of three little games I’ve challenged myself to make before September.
This week I’ve been taking a break from Unity and my small game challenge. Instead I’ve been looking into another voxel project.
I have implemented very basic voxel engines before, where each voxel was rendered as a cube made of triangles. This was to get an initial feeling of what voxels are and what might be interesting research further at a later time.
Continue reading “Tales From a Voxel World, part 1: Introduction and editing a texture at run time”
I finally got everything done on my last to-do list for Bionic Carrots. Which means that I’m ready to release the game.
Bionic Carrots is a Minesweeper-inspired puzzle game with a theme inspired by research from MIT on how plants can be altered to detect explosives.
Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, part 5: Releasing Bionic Carrots”
In the last post I wrote about the inspiration for Bionic Carrots. After designing the gameplay I moved into the final polishing phase of the games development.
This step was about improving game feel by giving better feedback to the player after each interaction, and also making the world feel more alive.
The video below shows the game before I started improving game feel. Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, part 4: Improving Game Feel in Bionic Carrots”
As stated in the introduction to my 3 Games in 6 Months challenge I’ve divided my current development process into six steps.
The first two focused on implementing a clone of the classic Minesweeper game.
In the last post I had completed step one and started polishing the classic version (step two).
I have since then also completed step three. Step three was about analyzing and evaluating the classic version and using this to design a new version of the classic Minesweeper.
Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, part 3: From Minesweeper to Bionic Carrots”
I’m making a Minesweeper clone in Unity
I have challenged my self to make and release three games in six months. The point of this challenge is to practice making a finished game and actually getting it out there to the players.
The first game I’m making is a Minesweeper clone. I’m using this as a sort of warm-up project, where I get into how my workflow the next six months should be.
I’ve given my self the rest of March to release my Minesweeper. Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, Part 2: Minesweeper clone”
Like so many others, I have a huge amount of half-finished games scattered around my git repositories.
However I have never actually managed to finish and release a proper game.
Continue reading “3 Games in 6 Months, Part 1: Introduction”
A common question from people new to programming is where to start. And the answers you get can be anything from “just start” to “read this insane number of books”.
In this post I will give a short list of books which we feel is a good way to go, if you are new to software development and C++. Continue reading “Four books for C++ beginners”
Another sprint has been finished, and it is once again time to a dev log.
Our last sprint focused on drawing our maze using only two different wall tiles.
In this sprint we have added player and camera movement, removed an annoying memory bug and also improved the frame rate of the game. Continue reading “Game Dev Log #3 (6/18): Player and Camera Movement”
Yesterday we finished the second sprint for our maze game, so I figured today would be a good day for my second Game Dev Log.
We are working on a roguelike maze game. The maze part is currently our main focus.
Last summer I made a student project on algorithms for generating mazes and we started our last sprint with including the implementations I did last summer into this project. The rest of the sprint mainly focused on how to draw the maze for our game. Continue reading “Game Dev Log #2 (5/18) : Drawing the Maze”
I’ve wanted to start writing development log regularly for a while now (this first post has actually been hiding half finished on the blog for more than 6 months now 😮 ).
So, instead of procrastinating on reddit looking for ideas on how to write a dev log, I finally decided to just do it 😉 Continue reading “Game Dev Log #1 (4/18) : Introduction”